Thursday, March 12, 2009

Potty Training!! Arghhhh.

This is how my day goes every time we try potty training, I'm pretty sure I have now officially traumatized my daughter of ever going potty.   


So, I know that everyone has heard it or experienced it themselves, but this is the worst thing that I have ever had to do as a mother!  The terrible two's I can live with, the tantrums I can tolerate, even the struggles with begging my child to please eat her vegetables I can some how find the patience, but POTTY TRAINING, I just can't do it.  I'm ready to pull every last hair out of my head. Everyone says don't rush them you will know when they are ready and then they will pretty much train themselves, whoever says that to me again I swear I will scream.  I have read and read all of the signs of when your child is ready, MY CHILD IS READY, but my child is the most stubburn child I have ever met!! For an example of how stubburn she is, I pryed her mouth open to make her try a green bean once and when we finally got it in her mouth I told her she could not spit it out and instead of just eating it she held it in her mouth for 3 hours, no joke. She can keep a diaper dry all night and even during naps, and when she poops in her diaper she brings me a diaper and wipes to change her.  If I ever walk in on her stooped in the corner pooping she screams at me to get out so she can have her privacy.  So the signs are all there, so we get all ready to potty train, and I have done this at least 6 times now and I am not happy to report that not a single drop of pee has made it into the toilet, and by the end of the day I am screaming and crying and dragging my daughter into the bathroom to even try again.  I'm at my wits end and I know everyone says that don't worry your child won't be attending Graduation in diapers, but I really do think that mine will because I have traumatized her for life of the bathroom.  If I even mention the word toilet or potty training she says "no mommy, no potty train."  I have tried the bribes, the treats, I have tried the sticker charts (in which my child didn't like because the sticker was stuck to the chart forever and she sat and cried while trying to pry the stickers off), I have tried pull-ups, I have tried cold turkey and just panties, I have even tried just letting her run around naked all day, I've tried the little potty and the seat that sits on the toilet, I have tried water running and a warm washcloth on her legs and I have tried every last trick I can think of and I am about ready to lose it.  So even though I have pretty much tried everything, please any ideas!  I am about ready to fly her to Pocatello and tell my mom not to send her back until she is completely potty trained, because i've had it.

9 comments:

Casey and Kristi said...

Oh that is something I am not looking forward to!! Good luck though, I hope you guys make it through!!

K Lind said...

I'm so sorry you're going through this! I'm in the same boat but I gave up long ago. I decided to just wait for a while and see if he wants to. Who knows. Potty training is so frustrating!

P.S. - I can't believe she kept the bean in her mouth that long! :-)

Kristi said...

What can I say!! Other than your post was hilarious!! Loved reading about it...even though it isn't going so well, it makes a great story! Keep trying, some day she will LET IT LOOSE!

Trisha said...

Don't rush her! You will know when she is ready and then she will pretty much train herself.

Krystal said...

I don't have any sound advice but I know that it takes 21 days (or something close to that) to form a habit, so maybe potty trainging is a habit that needs to be formed?!? I feel for you and I know I will be there in a year or so. Good luck and if you need to yell and screem I'm here for ya. If you get frustrated at her she will get frustrated at potty trainging!

Ray and Donna Hamblin said...

Oh, Tess -- I've laughed until I've nearly cried. What an ordeal!! She is just testing you to see if you'll quit -- JUST HANG IN THERE!! This too shall pass.
You might try making her wear that dirty diaper around until she HATES it! Then letting her feel the "sweet clean" of pretty panties, but what does an old great grandma know anyway?
Keep loving her -- she is toooo sweet to traumatize. We love you both -- keep at it, but be loving. We'll pray for you.
Funny -- the "word verification" thing on this blog is: "tentsa" Ha!

Katie said...

Ha ha. Poor Addi. Just kidding, but I have to say that I agree with Trisha. Just kidding again. I don't know what to tell you. I guess I'll probably learn when it comes time to potty train Corgin. I can see him being just as stubborn as Addi because he already fights me on things. Good Luck!!!
Oh, and the "word verification" thing on this blog is: "anstops" Tee hee hee.

Kristi said...

OOOOOOO...you scare me! Your comment sounds a little like the Brooke comment, I think just for that I will put the "All because two people fell in love" Blinkie on!! Ha! Oh, and the "word verification" is denes...I don't get it!

Karina & John Calderwood said...

Hi Tess...me again being nosey on your blog! :) Did you want to smack you sis when you read her comment? HAHAHA! I am NOT looking forward to potty training Kelsi...I have the patience of....well, no patience. The only other thing that I have heard that you didn't mention in your post (I can't believe you tried ALL those things - you are aweseom) is so load her up on juice and fruit and then if she has an accident, make her clean it up and like your gma said make her wear her dirty panties for a long time (gross I know) until she starts to get it. something my sister tried. I am going to bookmark you post for when I start potty training in the next 3-9 months.